The Corroseum Forum Index
Author Message

<  Metal Conquest  ~  Tracking & Hunting Stories by request (Dan)

Glockose
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Hero Of A Speedway Joined: 03 Jul 2007 Posts: 1290 Location: " shitty selfish attitude "
Driving in TX on some Government lease property in the middle of nowhere.

We see a sign that says "Lemonade & REAL Beef Jerky" on this little shack no cars in site. We are about 50+ miles from the nearest ANYTHING. It's August in TX 100+ outside so we stop and Mark (RIP) gets out and goes in for "Lemonade & Jerky". I stay in the car with the A/C, well ten minutes go by and he ain't coming out. Then this pickup pulls up and these 2 Redneck hunters get out and go in. Another 5 minutes pass and I am starting to think something is wrong (TX Chainsaw sh*t). The 2 Rednecks come out and there looking at me weird and they get in the truck and leave. Well I get out and start in. Just as I get to the door he comes out the 50+ LP's in his hands. The place was filled with Lp's Crazy Rares.

Lemonade, REAL Beef Jerky & RECORDS!! Hell my kind of store.
View user's profile Send private message
Kelly
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Forged In Fire Joined: 18 Jan 2007 Posts: 441 Location: Lycksele, Sweden
Haha, this was scary as hell! Good thing it turned out well Smile

So what did you guys dug up there?

_________________
Heavy Revolution!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Glockose
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Hero Of A Speedway Joined: 03 Jul 2007 Posts: 1290 Location: " shitty selfish attitude "
My wife always wants me to tell HER crazy record diggin story.

When we got married we didn't have much money or time for a honeymoon so we went to the pocanos for 2 days. Well on the car drive there I saw a Antique mall and said Oh lets stop and stretch our legs for a while "we have plenty of time". When we walked in the place was filed with records. We left 5 hours later and when we got the Hotel we had lost our resv. since we where 5 hour late.

4 days later we are on our way from NY to TX in a Uhal truck Me, my Wife and 2 dogs. The way she tells it she fell asleep and woke up in the truck with the dogs in a ally and I was gone. She started to panic and then saw the record sign in the rear view. I scored big that day "Steelmoon" and "Greer" for $5 each.

Well 15 years and she hasn't gotten rid of me yet "She's the Greatest" but she'll never let me forget the first week of marriage.
View user's profile Send private message
Glockose
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Hero Of A Speedway Joined: 03 Jul 2007 Posts: 1290 Location: " shitty selfish attitude "
One of the first Bands I ever tracked (Metal Bands) was "Shore of Evening" Not a great record but this was in like 1991-92 and it wasn't a known thing so why not.

The band ended up being in my home town and the singer invited me over to pick up the 50+ copies he had.

So I get to his house and a beautiful girl comes to the door in a short silk robe. She tells me he will be right there and leaves. So I am still standing outside and the door opens and this Transvestite comes out (6'5", 300 lbs) dress / wig / full makeup, the whole thing.

She/He/It introduces her self as the singer and asks me to come in. Well I'm in shock and say "No thank you" I can stay here while you go get the records. When she returns she wants to start talking about the band and what high school she went to since I grew up near by. Then she says "well I didn't look like this back then"

Damn I took the records and left in shock. I still can't get the image of her standing to the door out of my head and there is no way I can listen to that record anymore.
View user's profile Send private message
MassOfKthulu
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Stained Class Joined: 17 Jan 2007 Posts: 736 Location: Porto Leone, Hellas
priceless,keep it coming
View user's profile Send private message
Black Axe
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Metal Joined: 13 Aug 2007 Posts: 3098 Location: Too Close For Comfort
glockose wrote:
One of the first Bands I ever tracked (Metal Bands) was "Shore of Evening" Not a great record but this was in like 1991-92 and it wasn't a known thing so why not.

The band ended up being in my home town and the singer invited me over to pick up the 50+ copies he had.

So I get to his house and a beautiful girl comes to the door in a short silk robe. She tells me he will be right there and leaves. So I am still standing outside and the door opens and this Transvestite comes out (6'5", 300 lbs) dress / wig / full makeup, the whole thing.

She/He/It introduces her self as the singer and asks me to come in. Well I'm in shock and say "No thank you" I can stay here while you go get the records. When she returns she wants to start talking about the band and what high school she went to since I grew up near by. Then she says "well I didn't look like this back then"

Damn I took the records and left in shock. I still can't get the image of her standing to the door out of my head and there is no way I can listen to that record anymore.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Better an image in your head, then something else in some other place...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Glockose
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Hero Of A Speedway Joined: 03 Jul 2007 Posts: 1290 Location: " shitty selfish attitude "
There was a place about 2-3 blocks from Penn Station NY that was named "World Liquidators" Large 50,000sf warehouse filled to the ceiling with PORN Videos you had to walk down these small isles and in the middle of the place there were records. Scored about 100 LP's for $2.00 each.

But the people there were crazy these homeless looking perverts with shopping carts full of porn videos. I had to wait on this line for like 30 minuets to pay with this Crazy 500lbs lady yelling how she wanted "An*l videos", " where the F*ck are the An*l videos!!!!".

The things I do for records
View user's profile Send private message
DaN
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Administructor Joined: 15 Jun 2006 Posts: 5673 Location: Stockholm Metal Underground
Reading stories like John's I realize I really need to travel more Laughing
I just realized I do have one quite peculiar story to tell, but I need to think of a way to tell it without compromizing the identities of the ones involved. It's a bit sensitive.


And sorry for ruining the mood a little but I just had to doublepost Peter's tragic & haunting HELLBREATH-story in this thread where it belongs:
Fils Du Metal wrote:
Tracking down a band thanks to Dan....

Never heard or saw the HELLBREATH LP "Slave of God" before. When reading Dan's mighty page I discovered it and I wondered why I have never seen this LP in the last 20 years.

So I started hunting and seeing it is a German band gave me hope cause this record has never been out on the market in quantities.

Checked the names of the band members not knowing anything. Found one member's name and the strange thing was: He was mentioned as piano player in a music school for children etc....

Next surprise: The music school is in MY city of Villingen. Ok, not enough for that:
Reading the name of the music school: It is a music school 2 streets away from me. WOW, just passing this school always not recognizing it as what it is....

So I mailed the owner of the music school in the evening over their homepage and then the strangest thing in my life happened.

I had asked for the guy from HELLBREATH (whose name I don't wanna mention you will later know why) and asked if he could give me contact to him and if it would/could be him. Maybe he has the same name as the HELLBREATH guy...

Still in the evening I had the answer of the music school chief which caused a VERY strange evening and a strange feeling in hunting down a record:

"Hey Peter, yes it is XXX from our music school. But the sad thing is: He died 4 weeks ago".

The musician had/has same age as me that time: 38 years. I did not ask why he died but the chief of the music school forwarded the email to the brother of the musician and he mailed me some day and gave me contact to another band member where I finally got 2 copies of the LP for a collector price (he knew the record is rare).

First thought was not to get the LP because there could be a curse on it after this story.
Did not ask why the guy died but a strange feeling holding it in hands, listening to it and putting in collection. The band lived 20 km from me in the next town of TROSSINGEN and released the LP privately that was all I gotta know but a strange thing hunting down a record in the big internet world.

Finding the band 2 streets next to you and hearing that the guy died 4 weeks ago...

Ok, too much text and no funny story but a strange one to remember....

_________________
Let's all join the "Europe's Best Metal"-compilation challange!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Glockose
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Hero Of A Speedway Joined: 03 Jul 2007 Posts: 1290 Location: " shitty selfish attitude "
Man I am starting to feel like an OLD man sitting around tell the little kids stories. Someone else needs to add some on here. OR AM I THE ONLY CRAZY ONE?

How's about spending two days crawling through the sea of vinyl once known as Goldmine in Gretna, Louisiana.

Records were stacked from floor to ceiling, covering 100% of at least two rooms. We had to climb up on to the mountain of records, shimmy across and then tunnel down to see what was there.

All this while being shadowed by some guy/employee named Fwancis that the store owner "assigned" to stay with us for our two day visit.

Of course spending the nights drinking excessive quantities of beer, eating rabbit stew & crawfish and shooting pool with vomiting hookers added to the insanity.
View user's profile Send private message
nightsblood
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Metal Joined: 18 Mar 2007 Posts: 2272
A few quick ones, nothng as wild as what's already been posted:

Spent about 5 hours in a small 'college' record store in Lubbock TX one day digging out metal vinyl. This was in '96, and the clerk said no one had even gone near the vinyl stacks in years. I pulled about 100 albums; nothing super-rare, but lots of decent stuff like Ostrogoth, Medieval, Martyr, etc etc
The next record store down the strreet was even better; the owner was a metalhead back in the 80s and had saved some space in the store to sell some of his collection. Again, nothing mega-rare, but lots of cool stuff like Mercyful Fate picture discs, Warlord albums, Iron Maiden bootlegs, Savatage on Par, San Antonio Slayer, etc, all priced to sell Smile He also had tons of cassettes; mostly 'normal' stuff but I still have a Heathens Rage demo I found there; he had Desolation Angels demos, ANgels del Inferno, Oliver Magnum, etc. Even a few good cd's, like Atheist's 'elements' for $5.

Tracking records w/ my dad as a kid (he collects 50s-60s vinyl) we spent the better part of 2 days going through a store in Indianapolis. The place was dark, damp, and full of stray cats so the place stank of cat piss. We got about 100 LPs out of there for something like $2-3 each. Went back the following year and the place was turned into a pool hall.

Another 'dad' story; at a record show some hippie-looking guy was walking around with a rare R&B album under his arm. Dad asked about it but the guy said he didn't wanna sell it bfore he tried to trade it for some old psych-garage albums. Thus, my dad had a friend of ours shadow the guy all day at the record show. Soon as he started to leave, our friend came and told dad, who followed him into the parking lot and bought the album.

A rather surreal moment was going into a Record Exchange in a small town in West Virginia and hearing Triarchy being played on the store PA. The store was owned by John Allinson, who used to deal in metal vinyl alot.

_________________
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
View user's profile Send private message
MassOfKthulu
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Stained Class Joined: 17 Jan 2007 Posts: 736 Location: Porto Leone, Hellas
John Allinson!
havent heard about this guy in years
he used to sell records for nothing,rare stuff like tyrants reign,black knight,went for nothing
i think he was tight with an English guy,what was his name..also an old early 90s record dealer
also another old dealer from Germany Michael Muller went coocoo and burnt all his records i think cos he turned Christian? that was in the mid 90s
View user's profile Send private message
DaN
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Administructor Joined: 15 Jun 2006 Posts: 5673 Location: Stockholm Metal Underground
glockose wrote:
Man I am starting to feel like an OLD man sitting around tell the little kids stories...

"Grandfather, tell me a story.." Laughing
Naw, keem em coming. It's already friday night in Europe ya know. Memories tend to get blurred..

_________________
Let's all join the "Europe's Best Metal"-compilation challange!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Glockose
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hero Of A Speedway Joined: 03 Jul 2007 Posts: 1290 Location: " shitty selfish attitude "
Amethyst records- The label was a scam, Not a real label. He would put adds in mags to "promote" your band 1986-1990 by send a tape or if you had a private release out you could send those and he would promote you. He would lose money on purpose as a front and take it as a tax loss but that's another story.

Well when I found the guy in around 1996 he was a strange guy, I found him looking for Carnage as I had a copy that had a sticker on the back with the Amethyst name and logo.

After talking to him a few times on the phone and not getting anywhere I decided to get it the car and go to his house. I told him I would be in town on business and maybe I could come by. Well after a 5 hour drive he had me call him from the bowling ally down the street and told me how to get to his house (shack)

I knocked on the front door and I thought it was going to fall off. I heard him yelling for me to come in but I just stayed out side knocking. Then he started yelling so I tried to open the down. There was so much crap in the house I couldn't get the door all the way open. I stuck my head in and he was on the phone (4' 5", 300 lbs) I slid in and started to look around while I waited for him to finish.

There were piles of records everywhere, CD's, Tapes, Trash just crap. On the wall there was a "Doors" gold record and a few others I couldn't make out.

When He was finished he brought me into the kitchen where there were boxes on envelopes that he filed out in 1990 and never mailed. Each contained records. (Country, soul, metal) all in 1 envelope to send out to these overseas radio stations. I went through them all to get the Carnage records out.

Then he brought me into a room with a piano and piles of records (Dwarr LP's) that he told me was his good friend. And piles of 45's (Carnage, Commandment, Knightmare, Bye Bye) he pressed these on his own (Not telling the bands 1/2 the time)

I left there with 100's of records

The next time I tried finding him he was in prison for molesting children. He's still there...
View user's profile Send private message
DaN
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Administructor Joined: 15 Jun 2006 Posts: 5673 Location: Stockholm Metal Underground
glockose wrote:
Amethyst records- The label was a scam, Not a real label. He would put adds in mags to "promote" your band 1986-1990 by send a tape or if you had a private release out you could send those and he would promote you. He would lose money on purpose as a front and take it as a tax loss but that's another story.

Well when I found the guy in around 1996 he was a strange guy, I found him looking for Carnage as I had a copy that had a sticker on the back with the Amethyst name and logo.

After talking to him a few times on the phone and not getting anywhere I decided to get it the car and go to his house. I told him I would be in town on business and maybe I could come by. Well after a 5 hour drive he had me call him from the bowling ally down the street and told me how to get to his house (shack)

I knocked on the front door and I thought it was going to fall off. I heard him yelling for me to come in but I just stayed out side knocking. Then he started yelling so I tried to open the down. There was so much crap in the house I couldn't get the door all the way open. I stuck my head in and he was on the phone (4' 5", 300 lbs) I slid in and started to look around while I waited for him to finish.

There were piles of records everywhere, CD's, Tapes, Trash just crap. On the wall there was a "Doors" gold record and a few others I couldn't make out.

When He was finished he brought me into the kitchen where there were boxes on envelopes that he filed out in 1990 and never mailed. Each contained records. (Country, soul, metal) all in 1 envelope to send out to these overseas radio stations. I went through them all to get the Carnage records out.

Then he brought me into a room with a piano and piles of records (Dwarr LP's) that he told me was his good friend. And piles of 45's (Carnage, Commandment, Knightmare, Bye Bye) he pressed these on his own (Not telling the bands 1/2 the time)

I left there with 100's of records

The next time I tried finding him he was in prison for molesting children. He's still there...

Me thinks Harmony Corine could make a pretty darn great movie out of this one Shocked

_________________
Let's all join the "Europe's Best Metal"-compilation challange!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Astaroth
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Forged In Fire Joined: 17 Jun 2007 Posts: 319 Location: Australia
Some very weird stories here guys haha not sure if I can live upto this.

I remember catching the train out from the city where I live near the port, there was this store called Porthole Records. The owner was this very obese guy with a huge grey beard and long curly hair who actually lived upstairs. His voice sounded like Darth Vader - total chain smoking machine. The store had some cool stuff I picked up a signed Kreator Endless Pain, Motorhead, AC/DC, Napalm Death, Iron Maiden etc. etc. LP's from there. One day I heard on the radio that the building next door burned to the ground and there was some structural damage to the record store, the guy actually closed up shop. I never found out why. Every time I've been there since it's closed as well. Maybe he fell asleep with a cigarette listening to Abba LP's?

I was in Melbourne a few years ago in this (I'm sure Korgull and decibelrebel) store known as Rare Records in St. Kilda. The suburb that it's in is quite a 'seedy' place at night but we went during the day. I found some cool stuff there like Venom Canadian Assault, Sepultura/Overdose split and some other not so hard to find thrash LP's. As soon as I step out of the store I nearly bump into this fag in lycra, one guy stopped and turned around and yelled at his boyfriend to hurry up. He quickly strides up behind him and grabs his hair and launches his tongue into his mouth. I think some of the LP's I bought that day have some warping due to this incident.

Another time I went to a record fair and found some great tapes and demos for $1 - Necrosanct tape, Mournful Congregation demo tape and some other not so hard to find 80's tapes. The last one I went to was shit though.

My friend in Sydney went to a CHURCH fair and found the first Sadistik Exekution LP "The Magus" for $7 ! The cover was water damaged as well - maybe they tried to baptize it with holy water?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 15
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum